Monday, April 2, 2012

cat in the hat

I think I have mentioned that I read the "Cat in the Hat" to my kids quite often. In fact, Leah kind of "reads" it along with me now. This is my favorite part of the story. I can say it really really fast:

"Look at me
Look at me
Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun
But you have to know how!
I can hold up the cup
and the milk and the cake
I can hold up these books
and the fish on the rake
I can hold the toy ship
and a little toy man
and look! with my tail
I can hold a red fan
I can fan with my fan
as I hope on the ball
But that is not all!
Oh no, that is not all!"

I got to thinking that this is how I feel in my own life sometimes, so I made up a little rhyme:

"Look at me
Look at me
Look at me Now!
3 kids are so easy
You just have to know how!
I can shop with my toddlers
While carrying my baby in a sling
I buy only whole foods
and make delicious meals while we sing.
I read to them all at least an hour everyday
And with a snap of my fingers I can make them obey.
We go strawberry picking
and I make my own jam,
I'm just so wonderful,
I really really am.
And I can do
all of these things with a smile
And I can nurse my baby, all the while."

This is how I sometimes feel. I get to feeling a little cocky, a little sure of myself, a little smug. I forget that I need Jesus even when things are going really well. I get to thinking that I can do this alone. That I have motherhood down pat. But here is the next line in the cat in the Hat story:

"That is what the cat said,
The he fell on his head.
He came down with a bump
From up there on the ball
and Sally and I
We saw ALL the things fall!"

That sums it up in a nutshell. It really is the vicious cycle of sin in my life. I have a couple of really good days, where everything goes as planed, my kids are obedient and pleasant, I am able to accomplish my goals, and I feel very very confident. The only problem: that confidence is in myself, and not in my creator. And I am bound to fall.

I then have many many days where nothing goes right; I have a bad attitude, my kids act crazy, my house is a mess, and I realize once again that I need Jesus every single moment of my life. That I can't do this mom thing and this wife thing without him. I am slowly becoming more and more aware that I will never get to a place where I no longer need Christ. And that this is a good thing.

4 comments:

  1. Jess -

    So glad I stumbled upon your blog. This is a great reminder for us all... and the fact that we wouldn't have anything to balance if it weren't first given to us by Him.

    Take care,
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious and honest. Very well put. I kinda want to share this on facebook for the whole world to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please don't. If any of my blog posts ever go viral I will have to shut down my blog. Can't handle the pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie posted this on Facebook! This is so true!

    ReplyDelete